Wednesday, June 11, 2014

May 2014 Empties

Empties again? That's right, empties again. I'm slowly working out the type of content I'd like to blog (and the frequency), so please bear with me. In the meantime, I don't want to fall behind on these posts, so here are my May empties!



* = Disliked the product - would not repurchase
** = Liked the product - might or might not repurchase
*** = Loved the product - would repurchase

Note: Similar to last month, I'll provide my thoughts on full size products or deluxe samples (versus 1-3 time use samples, which I'll just list).

1. Asira Hand & Face Soap
Source: Radisson Hotel
Cruelty Free: unknown


2. Asira Bath Bar
Source: Radisson Hotel
Cruelty Free: unknown


3. The Body Shop Satsuma Body Puree
Source: Swap with sarahnicolebear!
Thoughts: I love this body puree!! The texture has an almost gel-like consistency and the product is very fast absorbing. It feels very refreshing to apply this product after a hot shower or bath and it moisturizes pretty well. Finally, the scent is INCREDIBLE! If you like the satsuma scent, you will find this product mouthwatering.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company is not


4. Clean & Clear Morning Burst Fruit Infusions Hydrating Cleanser
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I enjoyed this cleanser. It was thick and creamy, with a really nice pineapple/tropical scent. The cleanser did not dry out my skin. There are some small exfoliating bits in the cleanser but they were few and far between so I didn't find this product particularly exfoliating.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


5. My Beauty Diary 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Deep Hydrating Mask
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This is from the 10 year limited edition collection and it's my favourite MBD mask!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Unknown




6. Made From Earth Pure Aloe Vera Skin Treatment
Source: July 2013 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: Most night creams work well on my skin and this one was no exception. I stored this product in the fridge, which made this product cool and refreshing to apply right before bed. The only aspect of this cream that I did not like was that it felt really oily/greasy on the skin.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes


7. Clinique Repairwear Uplifting Firming Cream
Source: Murale bonus
Thoughts: I really enjoyed trying this cream. It had a nice thick texture and it moisturized well, but I didn't notice any firming.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


8. M. Asam 24h Moisturizing Antioxidant Cream
Source: June 2012 Glymm Bag?
Thoughts: It looks like I've reviewed this product in the past so I'm not sure if I received another sample or if this is the same one I dipped into back in 2012. The texture seemed a bit different but it still smelled great so I used the product. The texture is a little bit greasy on the skin but not uncomfortable since it was pretty fast absorbing. I love the scent of the M. Asam products.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


9. Tarte Maracuja Oil
Source: Purchased by me (in a gift set)
Thoughts: This is the 2nd deluxe sample I've finished and I really like this oil. It has no discernible scent and it does a great job moisturizing my skin. I like to use this as a base layer for all the products I use before going to bed. While I do enjoy this oil, I think I will look for a less expensive alternative. My friend mentioned that there are a lot of more reasonably priced oils in the beauty aisle at health food stores.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes


10. Pelle Beauty Stellar Multitasking Facial Oil
Source: BlushPretty 2013 Beauty Board
Thoughts: I love this facial oil so much that I've already repurchased a full size. The scent is rather strong but I love it (neroli & sandalwood). Similar to the Tarte Maracuja Oil, I use the Stellar as a base layer before going to bed. I also use this product under my clay mask. I met the owner again recently and she mentioned that this is a great product to remove your eye makeup so I may try that down the road.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes


11. Benefit The Porefessional
Source: Care package from Tammy!
Thoughts: This is my favourite primer! It mattifies my skin and seems to even out my complexion.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No


12. Giorgio Armani Face Fabric Second Skin Nude Makeup
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I liked this product at first because the texture reminded me of The Porefessional; however, the feel on the skin is heavier and greasier. The longer I used this product, the less I liked it... eventually I was just using it every day for work to finish it up. This product provides very minimal coverage so I don't think it is worth the price. I prefer using a BB cream to this product.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: No


13. Revlon Colorstay Makeup in Natural Beige
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I really like this foundation. It provides light to medium coverage and has an "in-between" type finish - not too matte and not too dewy. The only thing I don't like about this product is the packaging. It's a open glass top so you have to pour the product out... I found it got a little messy.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No




14. The Body Shop Tea Tree Blotting Tissues
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I really like these blotting papers. I didn't notice anything special about the tea tree formulation but they still worked well. I wanted to repurchase these but unfortunately I couldn't seem to find them on The Body Shop website.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company is not


15. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Eden
Source: Sephora sample
Thoughts: Eden is UD's matte primer potion and I did not like the formulation. It seemed really dry/cakey and really emphasized any dry skin on my eyelids.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company is not


16. Philosophy Purity Made Simple 3-in-1 Cleanser X 2
Source: Sephora samples
Thoughts: I've tried this cleanser numerous times and it's not for me. There is a bit of a medicinal/chemical scent and I find the cleanser a little drying on my skin.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: No


17. Target Cotton Rounds
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: These were fine but nothing special. I am using some cotton rounds from Dollarama at the moment that are MUCH softer!
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


18. Wet Ones for Sensitive Skin
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I've finished so many packages of Wet Ones. I use them for everything and love them. Unfortunately, they are not cruelty free so I will be testing out an alternative product. Fingers crossed I will like it just as much.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No




I went through some of my lip glosses and picked out a few that are way too old to keep in my collection. I like all of these but it is time to say goodbye.

19. VOV Hi-Tech Lip Polish in GD 19
Source: Don't recall
Thoughts: I have no idea where I got this product but it is highly pigmented and pretty gold lip gloss.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


20. Maybelline Lip Polish in Starlet Scarlet
Source: Don't recall
Thoughts: This is another ancient product that is highly pigmented! The red is stunning.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


21. Quo Lip Lacquer in Red Velvet
Source: Don't recall
Thoughts: Another highly pigmented product! This was more of a burnt-orange-red.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




I only discarded 3 old products this month but it feels liberating! I may go through my collection in more detail and purge some more old/unused/unflattering products. Hope you're all having a lovely June! :)

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP