Wednesday, May 28, 2014

April 2014 Empties

This is the longest blog drought I've ever had. How has it been nearly a month since I've posted? My last post was on my March empties and I'm back today to share my April empties. I'm going to change up the way I do my empties videos and posts because I am trying to use up a lot of samples/trial sizes and I really don't have much to say about many of them. From now on, I'll only be giving you my thoughts on full size products or deluxe samples (versus 1-3 time use samples, which I'll just list). Hopefully, this will cut back on repetition and make it a little easier for me to blog. I'm not going to be linking each product or the cruelty free source either (I usually use PETA, Leaping Bunny, and Paula's Choice)... apologies for the laziness, but empties posts take upwards of 3 hours each and I need to cut down that time! Let's see how it goes...



* = Disliked the product - would not repurchase
** = Liked the product - might or might not repurchase
*** = Loved the product - would repurchase

1. Quality Shampoo & Conditioner
Source: Quality Hotel & Suites
Cruelty Free: Unknown


2. Nirvae Botanicals Bergamot & Tea Tree Conditioner X 2
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: Unknown




3. YSL Temps Majeur Concentre de Serum
Source: Sample with purchase
Cruelty Free: No


4. Origins GinZing Energy-Boosting Moisturizer X 2
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: I enjoyed this moisturizer! It has a nice scent.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


5. Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream X 2
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: I thought this eye cream was ok, but I preferred the moisturizer.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


6. Lancome Visionnaire X 2
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: This product is alright but I likely wouldn't purchase it as it is expensive and I didn't notice a difference with my skin.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


7. Urban Decay Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer Potion
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: I really like the anti-aging formulation! I think it's on par with the Original Primer Potion. These samples are very generous in size - I had enough to try this eyeshadow primer for 2 weeks.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company L'Oreal is not


8. BeautySoClean Cosmetic Sanitizer Wipes X 7
Source: I've received these from multiple sources and I've lost track
Thoughts: I love this product. These wipes come in so handy. I used a bunch while travelling to spot clean my makeup brushes.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes


9. La Fresh Nail Polish Remover Wipe
Source: March 2013 Beauty Box 5 (replacement box)
Cruelty Free: Yes


10. Jean Pierre Cosmetics Nail Polish Remover Wipe X 2
Source: July 2013 Beauty Box 5
Cruelty Free: Unknown


11. B. Kamins Bio-Maple Lip Balm
Source: September 2012 GlossyBox
Thoughts: I wasn't a fan of this lip balm. I found the texture a little hard/difficult to spread and I did not find it very moisturizing. I actually didn't finish this product but I'm saying goodbye to it because it's starting to separate.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes


12. Filthy Farmgirl Filthy Sweetheart Strawberry Smoochie Lip Balm
Source: Purchased by me (in Hawaii)
Thoughts: I love this lip balm! The texture, scent, moisturizing properties, and packaging are all fab.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes




13. Pond's Cleansing & Makeup Removing Towelettes
Source: Don't recall
Thoughts: Out of the 3 brands of makeup removing wipes I finished this month, Pond's was my favourite. I found the wipes to be gentle yet effective.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


14. Biore Make-Up Removing Towelettes
Source: August 2012 Glossybox
Thoughts: When I was packing for vacation, I found this opened packet of wipes. To my surprise, they were still moist! I couldn't recall when I opened them but I was impressed that they were still useable as most of my wipes dry up quickly after opening. I thought these were ok... they seemed gentle at first but my skin started to feel a little sensitive after a couple consecutive days of using this product.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No


15. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
Source: Don't recall
Thoughts: This is the 2nd time I've tried these wipes. I've tried a number of Simple products and for some reason they do not agree with my skin. There is something about the Simple products tends to irritate my skin and the wipes were no exception.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company Alberto Culver is not




16. Eve Lom Cleanser
Source: Murale bonus
Cruelty Free: Yes


17. Vitamine & Sea Mineral Clay Mask
Source: August 2012 Glymm Bag
Thoughts: I did a short review of this product back in 2012 - please see the above link for details. This mask dried up on me a long time ago but I was still keeping it for spot treatments... I think it's time to say goodbye!
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes


18. Pure + Simple Sensitive Skin Face Wash
Source: BlushPretty Beauty Board
Thoughts: I usually enjoy the Pure + Simple products but this cleanser didn't work for me. It was really runny in texture and it stung my eyes like crazy!
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes


19. Etude House Pearl Extract Sheet Mask
Source: 2013 Rose Secret Box
Thoughts: I loved this mask - it is one of the most moist sheet masks I've tried.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Unknown


20. Befine Exfoliating Cleanser
Source: August 2012 Glossybox
Cruelty Free: Yes


21. Befine Gentle Cleanser
Source: August 2012 Glossybox
Thoughts: This cleanser contains sugar, mint, oats, and rice. I didn't like using a minty product on my face - it was a little too tingly and I worried about getting it in my eyes.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes




22. Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Bath & Shower Gel
Source: Gift from one of my sisters
Thoughts: I love this shower gel! It's very moisturizing and smells wonderful.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes


23. Mia's Wish Cucumber Spa Bar
Source: Purchased by me (in Chicago)
Thoughts: I love these bar soaps - they are among my favourite. This particular scent is very light and refreshing.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes




24. Moksa Body Butter
Source: December 2013 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: This body butter contains organic rosemary, mint, and sage. I liked the scent but not the texture... it was difficult to spread, a little greasy, and slow to absorb.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes


25. Le Petit Marseillais Framboise & Pivoine Hand Soap
Source: Purchased by me (in France)
Thoughts: I love this hand soap. It has a nice creamy consistency - it cleanses well and does not dry out my hands. The scent is mouthwatering!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Unknown


26. Pier One Imports Sugared Cinnamon Diffuser Oil
Source: Swap with sarahnicolebear
Thoughts: This was fun to try but I found the reeds did not diffuse the scent very far. I had to be really close to the diffuser to smell the sweet cinnamon scent. I opened this almost right after receiving it so the little bottle of oil lasted a good 4 months or so.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Unknown




Hooray, this post only took me an hour and a bit so that is much more manageable! I love tracking my empties but I have to admit I was feeling a little overwhelmed because of how much time it takes to write one of these posts. I am trying to think of a few additional changes I can make to my blog to motivate myself to post more frequently. I'm not sure what the changes will look like - probably shorter posts more frequently - but I definitely want to keep blogging. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading and for your patience as I get my blogging schedule together!

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP