Friday, May 2, 2014

March 2014 Empties & Products Going Bye-Bye

It's the first week of May and you know what that means? I am officially super duper late with my March empties! I was on vacation at the end of March and beginning of April so by the time I got back, I felt it was too late to record a video. I didn't want to miss a month so I'm still writing a blog post. Okay, let's get started!

* = Disliked the product - would not repurchase
** = Liked the product - might or might not repurchase
*** = Loved the product - would repurchase

For my March empties, I am only going to list the shampoo & conditioner samples because they are all rather small and I really can't remember much about them. Once again, I was just trying to get through them!

1. Gilchrist & Soames Hair Purifier
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: company website)


2. Nirvae Botanicals Bergamot & Tea Tree Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: Unknown


3. Molton Brown Radiant Lili Pili Hairwash
Source: Holt's 2013 Beauty Bag
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: company website)


4. Portico White Ginger Clarifying Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: Unknown


5. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Moisture LockConditioner
Source: Sample Source?
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)


6. Fresh Pomegranate Conditioner
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


7. June Jacobs Spa Collection Citrus Clarifying Conditioner
Source: Hotel sample
Cruelty Free: Unknown




8. Villainess Soaps Dulces En Fuego Smooch! Warming Body Scrub
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I love the Villainess line of products, but I thought the warming scrub was just ok. It only warmed once in a while and the formulation was quite dry. I thought the scent was ok - it has a vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate scent and I typically prefer fruity scents in the shower.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: I think so... the website alludes to cruelty free ingredients (Source: company website)


9. Gilchrist & Soames Bath Caviar
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: This product brings back memories!! I remember buying bath beads from The Body Shop when I was in high school. I loved loved loved bath beads!
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: company website)




10. Olay Ultra Moisture Moisturizing Bar in Vanilla Indulgence
Source: Purchased by Hubs
Thoughts: This is the last of my 4 pack of bar soaps. I really like these! They are very creamy, lather well, and moisturizing. They smell good and are ergonomically designed so they fit in my hand. I also like that they last quite a long time and don't just melt away in the shower.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)




11. Unearth Malee Jasmine Sticky Rice Mango Handmade Soap
Source: January 2014 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: I love this bar soap. It is very moisturizing and smells amazing... I could only smell the jasmine, but I love jasmine so that was perfectly fine with me!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: PETA)


12. Bath & Body Works Mini Candle in Marshmallow Fireside
Source: Swap with Pebbles!
Thoughts: I thought this candle was really nice, but I preferred the scent when the candle wasn't lit. Once I lit the candle, it smelled a lot sweeter.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: PETA)




13. Kaia Naturals Juicy Bamboo Facial Cloths
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: My favourite facial wipes!! That being said, I am only going to buy the individually wrapped ones from now on... a few of the cloths dried out because I kept this package too long.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: the owner told me so!)


14. La Fresh Travel-Lite Antibacterial Wipes
Source: July 2013 Beauty Box 5
Thoughts: I thought these wipes were pretty good - they definitely come in handy!
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: My Beauty Bunny)


15. Corman Organyc Beauty Organic Cotton Pads
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: These were pretty good - better than dollar store cotton pads but not as soft as the Shiseido Facial Cotton.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: I think so...?


16. Shiseido Facial Cotton
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: My favourite cotton pads - so soft!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)




17. Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: I really like this facial cream. The scent is great and it works really well for me as a light night cream. I didn't actually finish this product in March but I was using it for another purpose... which I will explain with item #23.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


18. Sisley Gentle Make-Up Remover for Face and Eyes
Source: Holt's 2013 Beauty Bag
Thoughts: I wanted to love this, but I thought it was just ok. This is a very gentle remover... it didn't really work for me when I had heavy eye makeup on. The texture is just like water.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


19. Lancome Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover
Source: Sample with purchase
Thoughts: I love this eye makeup remover! It's effective and does not irritate my eyes. I'm sad that Lancome is not cruelty free.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


20. Femme Couture Lightning Lash Lengthening Mascara
Source: October 2012 Glymm Bag
Thoughts: A natural, barely there mascara... it didn't do much for my short, barely there lashes.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Unknown


21. BareMinerals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I thought this mascara was ok. I usually used it in conjunction with the Femme Couture mascara. It seemed to dry out quickly.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company Shiseido is not (Source: Paula's Choice)


22. Too Cool for School Pink Girl Jelly Base
Source: Rose Secret Box
Thoughts: There was only enough in the sample for me to try this product once or twice but it was enough to pique my interest! I like that this "jelly" is a pink colour and it seemed to work well as a base for my makeup.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




23. Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer in Pink Shimmer
Source: Swap with Pebbles!
Thoughts: I was so sad when I broke this! :( Ever since receiving this product from Maria, I was using it every day by mixing it with my moisturizer. I think it did work to add some luminosity to my skin. There is a ton of product in here so it lasted a very long time even with daily use. When I broke the bottle, I scooped out as much product as I could and put it in the little Benefit Facial Moisturizer jar. I actually liked this product so much that I bought a set near the holidays last year with the Kitten Shimmer in it so I can still be luminous! :)
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)




24. Starlooks Brow Compact
Source: May 2013 Starlooks Starbox
Thoughts: I don't reach for this product anymore so I am saying goodbye to it. I find the powders are ok but I have other brow products I prefer.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: company website)


25. NYC Blushable Creme Sticks
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I love this product, but unfortunately, they are starting to smell funky so it's time to say goodbye. My favourite of the two was Big Apple Blush (pink). The other shade was Urban Spice and I used this more as a contour.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Paula's Choice)


26. NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Nude Peach Fuzz
Source: eBeauty Here Comes the Sun Cosmetic Bag
Thoughts: I thought I would really like this product, but this shade is xtremely unflattering on my skin tone. The scent was also not to my liking (odd, plasticky scent).
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)


27. Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Backstage
Source: Revlon Selects Program
Thoughts: This lipstick slid around like no other. I could not get this product to stay on my lips. Too bad because it would have been a nice shade for fall/winter.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)


28. L.A. Colors Glossin Go On-the-Go Pocket Lipgloss
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I like how shiny this lipgloss is but the deal breaker was the thickness on my lips and the flavour. It tasted bitter and really turned my stomach.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: PETA)




On that happy note, I'll be signing off now. :) I feel so much better now that I've posted my March empties. Now it's time to start working on my April empties. :) Have a lovely weekend!

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP