Tuesday, September 4, 2018

We All Like Food

After an incredibly indulgent BBQ at our friend's house, hubby and I decided to eat a little lighter yesterday. As we walked home from the air show, I mentioned that I was thinking of making chicken salad for dinner. Hubby asked, "chicken salad sandwich?" I clarified, "more like sous vide chicken on a bed of greens." To that, he replied, "chicken salad sandwich?" I got the hint.



As per hubby's not-so-subtle request, I made a huge batch of chicken salad last night. We had open face sandwiches on delicious sourdough buns from our friend. She had purchased the buns for the BBQ, but we didn't have room in our bellies, so she sent us home with two. I don't have any more buns, but I do have Ezekiel bread, so I enjoyed another open face sandwich for lunch today with a big side salad.



I am not intending to turn this into a food blog, but hey. I like food. You like food. We all like food. So I had to share this delicious chicken salad recipe (of course, I adapted it as I am prone to do). Very easy and full of flavour. Instead of roasting the chicken, I cooked it sous vide (4 chicken breasts at 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 10 minutes). The chicken is incredibly moist and tender - dare I say, better the next day. Instead of grapes, I used dried apricots, cut into itty bitty pieces. I was uncertain about the large amount of lemon juice in this recipe, but it really lightens up the mayonnaise (I used 3/4 of a lemon because I cut the other 1/4 into wedges to use in drinks). I omitted the almonds, scallions, dill, parsley, and pepper. I added 1/4 teaspoon of cumin. I'm sure other substitutions were made, but it still turned out well. It's a tremendously forgiving recipe. Bon appetite!

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP