Thursday, March 6, 2014

February 2014 Empties

Happy March!!! You know what this means! Spring is just around the corner... and not a moment too soon... I am so tired of winter. I'm starting March on a positive (or should I say, productive) note... I am posting my February empties relatively early this month. Not too many empties in February but I finished a ton of shampoo and conditioner samples! I think I only have 2 or 3 travel size shampoos left. :)



* = Disliked the product - would not repurchase
** = Liked the product - might or might not repurchase
*** = Loved the product - would repurchase

I am going to go through the shampoo & conditioner samples rather quickly because they were all pretty small and I don't have too many thoughts on them. I was really just trying to get through them!

1. Clear Scalp Therapy Shampoo for Men
Source: Free sample
Thoughts: I only used this once or twice. It was alright.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA - see results for Unilever)


2. MGM Grand Jasmine Shampoo X 2
Source: Hotel samples from Las Vegas
Thoughts: This shampoo smells nice but I found it drying. I also hated the bottles because you can't squeeze them to get the product out.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


3. Pharmacopia Verbena Shampoo & Conditioner
Source: Hotel samples from Halifax
Thoughts: I liked these - loved the scent!
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


4. Damana Shampoo with Extracts of Juniper
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: This was ok for me. My hubby really liked the scent.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Damana website)


5. Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: Another product my hubby likes but I found the scent too medicinal. It was also drying to my hair.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company Estee Lauder is not (Source: PETA)


6. Tresemme Platinum Strength Shampoo & Conditioner
Source: Free samples
Thoughts: I liked this shampoo & conditioner duo. Both products smelled really nice, the shampoo did a good job cleansing my hair, and the conditioner was thick, creamy, and moisturizing. The samples were small though so I only got around 3 uses out of them. I often change my mind on products after using them longer so I'm hesitant to give 3 stars...
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA - see results for Alberto-Culver)


7. Judith Jackson Spa Citresse Conditioning Shampoo
Source: Free sample
Thoughts: This was alright, but nothing special.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


8. June Jacobs Citrus Clarifying Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: This product cleansed my hair very well (think, squeaky clean) but I found it very drying even though I tried to pair it with a deep conditioner.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




9. Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel
Source: May 2012 Glossybox
Thoughts: This is a thick gel wash that I found was not very gentle. It was also a little drying, which surprised me. I didn't like this product.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Paula's Choice)


10. The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser
Source: May 2012 Glossybox
Thoughts: I love this facial cleanser! It is thick, creamy, soft, and soothing... plus it is not difficult to wash off. I love this paired with my Clarisonic.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company L'Oreal is not (Source: PETA)


11. Marcelle Essentials Gentle Make-Up Remover for Sensitive Eyes
Source: I received this from Marcelle as I was testing the product packaging
Thoughts: This was my second bottle of this and I tried to use it up quickly because I'm not a fan. I found this product really irritated my eyes. I was disappointed because I usually like Marcelle products.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Paula's Choice)


12. Clarins Extra Firming Day Cream
Source: Murale bonus
Thoughts: I loved this day cream! It was thick and creamy yet light enough for me to put on in the morning and immediately apply my makeup. I thought I noticed a difference in my skin after using this. It seemed, dare I say, a little firmer??
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)




13. Olay Ultra Moisture Moisturizing Bar in Vanilla Indulgence
Source: Purchased by Hubs
Thoughts: I really like these bar soaps! They are very creamy, lather well, and moisturizing. They smell good and are ergonomically designed so they fit in my hand. I also like that they last quite a long time and don't just melt away in the shower. I am upgrading my rating for these!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)


14. The Body Shop Shower Gel in Papaya and Mango
Source: Gift from one of my sisters
Thoughts: I really liked the formulation of these but they smelled less mouthwatering than your average product from The Body Shop. Perhaps I kept them for too long. I liked the mango scent the best and I will probably buy a full size down the road (when I am done all my other body washes and soaps).
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company L'Oreal is not (Source: PETA)




15. Kosé Cleansing Sheet Type
Source: Hotel sample from Japan
Thoughts: Same comment as last month... These are cleansing cloths that I used as body wipes. I've had them since 2009 (oh dear) but they were still very moist! There were two wipes in the packet and despite not being resealable, the second wipe did not dry out after 1-2 days. I liked these.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


16. La Fresh Travel Lite Facial Cleansing Wipes
Source: Not sure but it must have been a beauty box... most likely Beauty Box 5
Thoughts: I used these as body wipes and I liked them.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: My Beauty Bunny)


17. Beauty So Clean Cosmetic Sanitizer Wipe
Source: January 2013 Glossybox
Thoughts: These little wipes come in really handy. I'm so happy this company is cruelty free - I use the Cosmetic Sanitizer Mist and Conditioning Brush Cleanser regularly.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: PETA)




18. Nivea Essential Lip Balm
Source: January 2013 Glossybox
Thoughts: Besides the Maybelline Baby Lips in Quenched, Nivea definitely makes my favourite lip balms... and you can't beat the price!
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


19. Essence Sun Club Matt Bronzing Powder for Blondes / Lighter Skin
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I finished a 15g bronzer!! So proud of this!! :) I really loved this bronzer - it is matte and perfect for contouring.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Essence website)




20. Rexall Cotton Swabs
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: What can I say? These were fine. :)
Rating: **


21. Scentsational Candles Natural Soy Premium Candle in Fearless
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This candle is lovely! It burns and long time and the throw is excellent. These candles are marketed towards men and the scent while burning was definitely more masculine than the solid wax in the canister. The only thing I didn't like about this candle was the wick. It was quite smokey when I blew out the candle.
Rating: **




That's it for February! I'm going to continue trying to work on my massive collection of samples and travel size products so these empties posts are going to be a little light on commentary for the next few months. I'm slowly working my way through a few full size products too so hopefully I'll have some of those to share in the next little while.

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP