Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Sawya and Gotcha

Eight years ago to the day, my friend and I popped into PJ's Pets at Yonge and Eglinton, and I fell in love. I saw a little grey bunny with a little pink nose and I couldn't leave the store. My friend wandered around, while I stared at the bunny for an hour. Hubby and I had looked into adding a bunny to our family, but after doing a lot of research, we decided a dog would be more suitable for our lifestyle. Yet I couldn't leave the store. Against my better judgement, and even though I knew the perils of purchasing an animal from a pet store, I put a $20 deposit down for the "Blue Netherland Dwarf." The pet store told me that she (yes, she) was too young to come home with me that day and asked if I could come back the next day (yes, the very next day). I reluctantly agreed, knowing I would worry all night but also thinking it would give me some time to explain myself to hubby. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I couldn't imagine not having Truffle in our lives. He fills my heart with so much joy, and even though he's quite a mature rabbit now, he will always be my baby bunny. Also, I wish I had taken better photos that day.



The below photo on the left was taken in the pet store on Truffle's Sawya Day, and the below photo on the right was taken at home the next day on Truffle's Gotcha Day. Truffle came home with us on Halloween in the year 2010, around 6 months before we got Lulu. Over the years, Truffle has learned that we are his hoomans. He comes to us for pets, nudges our ankles with his nose when he wants attention, runs circles around us when he's excited, begs for food, and lies right next to us in the most vulnerable positions. It's truly something special to have a little creature, who is in every respect a prey animal, grow to trust you.


I recorded a video all about Truffle a few years ago, and I've embedded it below. In the description box of that video, I promised one "very soon" for Lulu--it's been a while (5 years!!!), so it's probably about time I record that. Happy Sawya Day, Truffle!

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP