Friday, March 25, 2016

Parcae

Parcae is a dark, secretive restaurant, hidden in the nondescript Templar Hotel. And the food is fantastic.

I started the evening off with - what else - a gin cocktail. Miss Geraldine is a strong one, just the way I like. There is a strong anise flavour due to the Pernod so keep that in mind in case that is not your taste. The soft, pillowy pink lemon foam resting on top was more sweet than sour. I enjoyed this drink.


The menu at Parcae is intended for sharing. We ordered 4 dishes and they were all delicious. The first plate consisted of 5 thin slices of horse carpaccio. There aren't many restaurants in Toronto that serve horse but it is big in France. I usually order it every chance I get.


The duck raviolo was one of my favourite dishes. Yes, it is only one raviolo but it's a big one and we enjoyed every bite. The flavours were fantastic and the pasta perfectly al dente. The best raviolo I've ever eaten.


My other favourite course was the buttermilk fried rooster. The smallest rooster I've ever seen but it's definitely not for the squeamish. If you don't like your meat to look like an animal, this isn't for you. If you can get past the presentation (which we did not mind), the flavour and texture are incredible. Crispy skin, moist meat, a spicy-sweet BBQ sauce, and the best waffle I've ever eaten at a restaurant. Most of the waffles I've had are too dry or too hard. This one was perfect.


Finally, the risotto. It's black due to the squid ink. I don't recommend you order this on a first date because the squid ink will get in your teeth and on your lips. The flavour is incredible but it is a little salty so avoid if you are sensitive to sodium. Our server told us that Parcae is the only restaurant as far as they know that use sturgeon bone marrow.


Dessert was very decadent and equally fantastic. Pouding chomeur is one of my all-time favourite desserts. The portion at Parcae is a little small but it is very rich. Next time, we're ordering two. The salt adds a really nice touch.


The cinnamon roll was nice, albeit a little dry. I love maple anything but overall prefer the pouding chomeur.


We had a fantastic meal at Parcae. There are a few other dishes on the menu I'd like to try so we will definitely be making a return visit!

P.S. Please excuse the terrible photos. They are all screen shots from my vlog footage.

  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP