Sunday, February 16, 2014

January 2014 Empties

A great start to the year in terms of empties! I feel so motivated to get through my products. :)



* = Disliked the product - would not repurchase
** = Liked the product - might or might not repurchase
*** = Loved the product - would repurchase

1. Tresemme Tres Two Freeze Hold Hairspray
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This is my favourite hairspray; however, since it is not cruelty free, I'll be looking for a new favourite. I have one more canister of this.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA - see results for Alberto-Culver)


2. Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: I'm not a fan of this shampoo - it smells a little medicinal and I find it drying. My hubby really likes it though.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company Estee Lauder is not (Source: PETA)


3. Damana Shampoo with Extracts of Juniper
Source: Hotel sample
Thoughts: This shampoo was alright but nothing special. Again, my hubby likes this one.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Damana website)


4. Ella Baché Shampoo
Source: Hotel sample (Japan)
Thoughts: I loved this shampoo! It was gentle yet effective and the suds were super soft. It smells nice too.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Unknown


5. Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Conditioner
Source: Swap with Pebbles
Thoughts: I enjoyed trying this product, but it didn't do much for my hair.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


6. Global Goddess Shine Coconut Amla Revitalizing Hair Treatment
Source: November 2012 Beauty Box 5
Thoughts: This made my hair SO oily... I have a feeling I used too much. I think I have another packet of this so I will try it again and perhaps my rating will change.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Unknown




7. Michaels Mini Soap
Source: Swap with Sarah
Thoughts: This soap was really cute and it smelled nice... otherwise, it was nothing too exciting.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




8. Dot & Lil Winter Tangerine and Mint Soap
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This is one of my favourite soap brands but I am probably going to stay away from mint soap as I find it too tingly. The scent was amazing though and it was non-drying.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: the owner!)




9. Olay Body Bar Soap
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I'm not sure which type of bar soap we have but I like it. It's very creamy and smells nice. The shape of the soap is quite ergonomic and fits my hand nicely!
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: PETA)


10. Bambu Earth Salt Glow Sugar Cookie Body Polish
Source: February 2013 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: I loved the scent of this! Unfortunately, since it's a salt scrub, it really stung when I got it in cuts I didn't even know I had... so I avoided using it. Eventually, I used it as a bath salt so I could get through it. I love the jar so I'll be washing it out and re-using it in my home.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Bambu Earth website)


11. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime
Source: February 2013 Beauty Box 5
Thoughts: This product is amazing!! It is gentle yet exfoliating and it smells divine. Maria bought me a huge container of this in our swap so I have lots more to enjoy! :)
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Tree Hut website)


12. Organic Apothecary Sinus Blend Shower Tablets
Source: November 2013 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: This is supposed to smell like eucalyptus but it didn't smell like anything whatsoever. I was surprised since the tablets are well reviewed on Etsy. Maybe these were old.
Rating: *
Cruelty Free: Unknown


13. Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Body Lotion
Source: Gift from my sisters
Thoughts: Such a wonderful product! The scent is lovely (not artificial or cloying) and the lotion is light yet moisturizing. I loved using this product.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: PETA)


14. Mr. Pumice Purple Pumi Bar
Source: Swap with Pebbles
Thoughts: This is the best pumice bar I've ever tried. I find a lot of pumice bars either hurt or don't do anything to take off dead skin so I rarely use them... this one is very abrasive yet oddly gentle.
Rating: ***




15. Korres Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturizing and Brightening Cream
Source: Sephora sample?
Thoughts: I thought I would really like this cream but it was a little sticky on my skin. I'm going to check to see if I have another sample of this so I can try it again.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


16. The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Day Cream
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I really really like this cream - I prefer to use it at night because I find it a little too heavy for day use. I store it in the fridge so it's very cooling and soothing when I put it on at night before bed. This is probably the perfect summer night cream for me... in the winter, I prefer something a little heavier so I paired it with a facial oil.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company L'Oreal is not (Source: PETA)


17. Bioderma Hydrabio Serum
Source: Sephora sample?
Thoughts: I liked the texture of this serum - it was very creamy and soft. The sample was tiny (I only got 1-2 uses out of it) so I couldn't really tell if it did anything for my skin.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


18. Neutrogena Men Triple Protect Face Lotion with SPF 20
Source: Free sample
Thoughts: I didn't try this product but my hubby finished it and dropped it into my empties bag. I thought it smelled alright and he liked the product.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


19. Nivea Gentle Toner
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This used to be my favourite toner and I still love it; however, I am switching to a fragrance free and cruelty free alternative.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


20. Pelle Beauty Stellar Multitasking Facial Oil
Source: 2013 Beauty Board
Thoughts: I love this product - it does wonders for my skin and has so many uses. I use it as a base before I apply clay masks and I also apply it every night before I go to bed. It contains a mix of various oils and I really like the scent. It is very lightweight, fast absorbing, and non-greasy.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Pelle Beauty website)


21. Airelle Facial Serum
Source: July 2013 Beauty Box 5
Thoughts: I enjoyed trying this product but it didn't do anything for my skin.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Airelle website)




22. My Beauty Diary 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Deep Hydrating Mask
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: Love this mask! The scent was wonderful and I found it really hydrating.
Rating: ***
Cruelty Free: Unknown


23. My Beauty Diary 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Intensive Brightening Mask
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I liked this mask but I preferred the LE deep hydrating mask.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


24. My Beauty Diary Black Pearl Mask
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: This was a free mask that was included in the 2 boxes of LE masks I purchased. I thought this mask was alright but I preferred the LE deep hydrating mask.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


25. Kosé Cleansing Sheet Type
Source: Hotel sample (Japan)
Thoughts: These are cleansing cloths that I used as body wipes. I've had them since 2009 (oh dear) but they were still very moist! There were two wipes in the packet and despite not being resealable, the second wipe did not dry out after 1-2 days. I liked these.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




26. Cotton Rounds from Target
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: Not too much to say about these - they were alright.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown


27. NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
Source: Sephora sample
Thoughts: I thought this primer was good but it was a little bit more sticky than the UD primer potion. As a result, I found it a little more difficult to blend out my eyeshadow.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes but parent company Shiseido is not (Source: Paula's Choice)


28. Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara
Source: Sephora sample
Thoughts: This mascara was alright... I prefer the Hypnose Drama version.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: No (Source: Paula's Choice)


29. Victoria's Secret Endless Love Fragrance Mist
Source: Gift from one of my sisters
Thoughts: I liked applying this scent right before bed.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Yes (Source: Paula's Choice)


30. Mont Blanc StarWalker
Source: Purchased by my hubby
Thoughts: This is another product my hubby popped into my empties bag! I guess he likes participating in my monthly empties... although he doesn't want to be in the videos hehe. He liked this scent a lot when he first got it, but by the time he was done the bottle, he was just ok about it. I think this scent is ok - it's quite different from scents that he normally wears.
Rating: **
Cruelty Free: Unknown




31. David's Tea Copabanana
Source: Free sample
Thoughts: This tastes very strongly of coconut, which I don't mind, but it also contains artificial flavours. :(
Rating: **


32. David's Tea Mom's Apple Pie
Source: Free sample
Thoughts: I found this green tea extremely bitter, even though I only steeped it for 2 minutes. I did not like this tea.
Rating: *


33. David's Tea Kenyan Tinderet
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: One of my favourite black teas!
Rating: ***


34. Lupicia Honey & Pear
Source: Purchased by me
Thoughts: I thought this tea was alright. It's a roasted green tea, which was nice, but I wanted a little more pear flavour.
Rating: **


35. Premium Soy Mason Jar Candle in Sugar Cookie
Source: December 2013 SeasonsBox
Thoughts: I had mixed feelings about this candle. I liked the scent, the throw was amazing, and the mason jar is adorable; however, the wick burns really dirty even though I trim it every time I burn the candle. It smokes up a storm when I blow it out.
Rating: **


  © 2011-2019 | ellesy the petite pear | all rights reserved

Back to TOP